Web development is fun and learning new languages, functions, and ways to combine these tools to create something new is exciting. The languages I know and work with are:
- PHP / MySQL
- Flash / Actionscript
CoachSide Video Coaching
In 2009 I went back to school for a master’s in Instructional Technology. This was my final creative project. A combination of uploading, converting, and playing videos, all synced with a database to give athletes and coaches a simple, streamlined tool.
The Spam Free System
Spam Free was a project I worked on from the Fall of 2009 to the Fall of 2010. I took a simple membership script and by adding a few new features and tools, turned it into a system that worked as follows:
- User could create an account with months payments handled by PayPal
- Once created, they could add a website to their account on which they would like to display the seal
- The system would automatically generate the HTML code needed to place the seal on their site
- When visitors clicked on their seal, a window would pop up displaying their spam free report that was generated by spam reports from their list members
I also took a simple affiliate script and integrated it with the PayPal IPN from the original script so they worked in tandem. Lacking detailed stats, I also wrote a few functions to display CSS based charts of recent affiliate statistics.
WP Ski Resort Custom Theme
After running SlopeFillers for a few months, I saw an immediate need for smaller ski areas to be able to create a good looking website without paying an arm and a leg for me. My solution? A free, customizable wordpress theme that uses the WP Options feature to have all the variables easily updateable from within the WordPress admin dashboard. Some of the features are:
- Rotating images on main landing page using Nivo Slider
- Quick-update snow report
- A variety of background, color, and image schemes to fit the resort’s brand
- Custom logo use and positioning
Pretty straight forward but a very useful and successful project.
To Do List
I wanted to create a self-hosted PHP script that I could use to run a simple to do list. Nothing i was using worked as quickly as I wanted so I wrote this little database-driven diddy. It works like this:
- Securely login and stores login data as a session
- The text for each item is editable for easy updating
- Progress tracking for each item
- One-click deleting rather than a confirmed deletion
- Sizing and layout for mobile viewing
Simple but effective, a mantra I try to stick to with most of my work.